Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) is the premier Postgraduate Medical Institution of the country.It bears the heritage to Institute of Postgraduate Medical Research (IPGMR) which was established in December 1965. In the year 1998 the Government converted IPGMR into a Medical University for expanding the facilities for higher medical education and research in the country. It has an enviable reputation for providing high quality postgraduate education in different specialties.
The university has strong link with other professional bodies at home and abroad. The university is expanding rapidly and at present, the university has many departments equipped with modern technology for service, teaching and research. Besides education, the university plays the vital role of promoting research activities in various discipline of medicine. Since its inception, the university has also been delivering general and specialized clinical service as a tertiary level healthcare center.
1. NameoftheDepartment : Nephrology
2. Activities startedfrom : 1973
3. Teaching staff : 1. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Rafiqul Alam
2. Prof.Md.Shahidul Islam(Selim)
3. Prof.AsiaKhanam (Chairman)
4. Prof.Muhammad NazrulIslam
5. Associate. Prof.RanaMokarrom Hossain
6. Associate Prof.A.H.HamidAhmed
7. Associate Prof.Dr.Md.OmarFaruq
8. Associate Prof Dr.K.B.MHadiuzzaman
4. Number of patients : a) Outdoor patients 140 (Avg) patients/day
b) Evening OPD35Pts. /day
c) Indoor turnover 8-10pt/day
5. Dialysis facilities
- Intermittent peritoneal dialysis (IPD)
- Started in1974
- Total number of patients undergone IPD105 from 2009 to 2019
- Continuous Ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) Total Number-60 from2008 to 2019.
- Started in1977 in one machine.
- Total number of machine 15
- Total number of patients on maintenance hemodialysis is 70
- Acute dialysis 6-8 (Avg) patients/day
6. Renal transplant : Live related
- Started in1982
- Number of Transplantation: 560 up to 2019.
7. Intervention :
- Renal biopsy-2-3/day- total 7,609 up to 2019
- Central venous catheterization-Total 8,500 up to 2019 (Jugular, Femoral & permcath)
- AV fistula Construction (regularly done by the help of Urology Department) 5-6/week.
8. Indoor Facilities :
- Indoor bed = 34 plus cabin.
- Hemodialysis unit 2with 20beds
- Transplant ICU = 1 with 6 beds.
- Transplant cubical 4 beds
- CAPD unit = 1 OT with 2 beds.
- Intervention Nephrology: 03Specialist
- 01 Procedure room
- 01 Ultrasonograme Machine
9. Research work :
- Avgerage five thesis/year
- Undergoing project-05
- MD Residency (Nephrology) Curriculum formation & Amendment
10. CME Programme :
- One national
- One Biannual international
- Seminar 3-5/month
11. Postgraduate education :
- MD Nephrology 4 students/year
- MD Residency Programme-12 students /year
- Training of FCPS Nephrology-1 students /year